If you find the text too small to read on this website, press the CTRL button and,
without taking your finger off, press the + button, which will enlarge the text.
Keep doing it until you have a comfortable reading size.
(Use the - button to reduce the size)

Today's quote:

Saturday, June 17, 2017

It's not the where; it's the how

 

People ask me, "but where will you live after you've left Riverbend?", to which I reply, "It's not so much the where that's important as the how", because I could live anywhere as long as I have my books and a few creature comforts.

A small flat - the smaller the better - in a quiet area with easy access to all amenities - shops and restaurants, public swimming pool, public library, and public transport - and with a sunny outlook and enough room for my books would be just fine. In fact, a little bedsitter would just about eliminate all the household chores and keep visitors away.

Come to think of it, the old bolthole in Blues Point Road would do just nicely, although it wouldn't have to be in the city but a rail link to it would be a plus. And it should be a 'pet-friendly' place in case I wanted to keep another little Rover (not that I would want to lose my present little Mr Onederful; however, the reality is that he's fourteen years old and may not be around by the time a buyer for Riverbend turns up).

 

 

A leafy outlook from the (one?) window would be nice but forget about water views or waterfront. I did a few price comparisons and it seems that of two identical units, one with water views ('water glimpses' would be more accurate) and the other without, the one with water views would cost an extra 50%. As for waterfront, that more than doubles the price here in Sproxton Lane.

No water views, let alone waterfront, for me: if I want them, I'd grab a folding chair and walk down to them. Or, if they're not within easy walking distance, I use public transport because here's the other thing: I won't bother about a car.

So if you happen to see an old codger carrying a folding chair on a bus or train, why not sidle up to him and ask, "Are you missing Riverbend?" I can tell you his answer right now.


www.tiny.cc/riverbendmap

P.S. I've just looked over what I've written and realised that's the way I lived for the first ten years of my adult life, not because I wanted to but because I had to. Now I want to. How liberating is that?